Rivalries and Family Feuds

June 10, 2008
By

Ladies and Gentlemen –

You know we are 79 days away from the opening kickoff to the 2008 College Football season so it’s time to talk about one of my favorite topics; Instate Rivalries.

Certainly everyone knows about the hate and discontent that exists between Ohio State and Michigan or Texas and Oklahoma and Tennessee and everybody.

But the hate that is conjured up by an instate rivalry is the most bitter of all.

For those of you in Nebraska, Wyoming, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin or Tennessee you may not understand what I am describing.

Let’s face it a game between Ohio State and Ohio Wesleyan isn’t exactly a major draw.
Some of you may be thinking what would be wrong with watching the Buckeyes take on the Battling Bishops?

Everything: Because it doesn’t matter and the outcome is inevitable.

The hate and discontent that is generated by an instate rivalry last’s all year long.
It is passed on to your children and it is felt at the grocery store, at school and in church.

It is the first derogatory thing that passes your lips when something doesn’t go as planned with someone from the “other side of the state”.

“Damn Herb didn’t bring back my lawnmower like he said he would; #@&* Duck fan, what should I have expected.”

It is stating that your two favorite college football teams are yours and any team playing against your rival that particular Saturday.

It is passion; it is one ideology and way of life versus another.

It is brother against brother.
It is Democrats verses Republicans, Protestants verses Catholics.
It is Oil and Water and Cowboy’s and Indian’s all rolled into one.

They play for an Apple Cup or a Common Wealth Trophy or in a Civil War or in an Egg Bowl but mostly they play for PRIDE.

They come with different mascots, fashions and nicknames, but they all have one thing in common…the quest for Bragging Rights

Nothing is sweeter, nothing lasts as long when you win and no pill is harder to swallow when you are on the “other” side of the score board.

The memories of long ago clashes last forever.

Enjoy your week…..

RTR
MEB

Tags:

7 Responses to Rivalries and Family Feuds

1. MissMay4UK on June 10, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Love the video–could be UK and U of L just as easy or a variety of others. I have a fear of a big red cardinal waiting patiently for me…like a buzzard at Friday night bingo at the..oh, um I better stop there.

2. Bulldog Jim on June 10, 2008 at 8:34 pm

You “nailed it” with the video—“Gittin close now.” Thanks, BJ

3. Bulldog Jim on June 10, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Oh yeh, the QB in the game was “The Babe.” The Bear and The Babe Beat the Bulldogs Beyond Belief! Your Buddy, BJ

4. MEB on June 12, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Thank you all.
    I will do my best to keep you all motivated until kickoff which is only 77 days away…

77?….
    Say, wasn’t that Red Grange’s number.

RTR
    MEB

5. TheBamaPrincess on June 12, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Wonderful – simply wonderful – the video rocked!!

TheBamaPrincess

6. Christy on June 13, 2008 at 11:36 am

The rivalry article was dead-on! By the time my daughter was three she knew “Yea, Alabama”; she will not orange and blue M&Ms together because that makes your belly hurt; generally she discriminates against the offensive color orange; she also knows that when I say someone isn’t smart that they must have gone to Aubrun (which is how she says it, and I see no need in correcting her); and best of all she will be quick to tell you that cheerleaders who wear orange and blue are not smart and they’re not pretty!

Did I mention her middle name is Bryant?

Icheer4Bama (sister of BamaPrincess)

7. MEB on June 17, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Thank you Christy and I have to say that you are an AWESOME Mom!

You truly made my day with your comment.

Miss Bryant….It doesn’t get much better than that.
    RTR